The New York Times, Writer
Contribute weekly to Trilobites, a column unearthing fascinating morsels of science. Occasionally write longer news stories or segments for other columns in the science section.
Work in Popular Science, Motherboard, TED, Audubon, Quanta Magazine, The Outline, Fusion and others.
Published in Scientific American and the popular biology blog Creature Cast. Created or worked on animations for the City of Pawtucket, Rhode Island; the Rhode Island Department of Health; the Rhode Island Land & Water Summit. In 2012, two of my animations were included in the “Beneath the Waves” film fest; one won “Best Student Film.”
Scienceline.org, Staff Member
Sep 2014-Dec 2015
Served terms as associate editor, creative director and social media editor of NYU’s student-led digital science magazine. Led logo and website re-design. Contributed reported stories and blog posts.
Popular Science, Editorial Intern
Aug 2015-Dec 2015
Wrote stories on gene editing, bioart, gadgets and more for the website and print magazine. Pitched and produced print spread on how to make a DIY “candy cane sound machine” for the 2015 holiday issue. Contributed to videos and podcasts.
Nautilus, Editorial Intern
May 2015-Jul 2015
Fact-checked and did research for articles exploring the intersection of science, culture and philosophy. Helped manage social media accounts.
Motherboard, Editorial Intern
Feb 2015-May 2015
Wrote and fact-checked news and features on psychology, antibiotics, ecology and more for VICE’s science and tech website.
WNYU Radio, The Doppler Effect, Producer
Sep 2014-Dec 2014
Wrote, researched, recorded, edited and produced audio features on fig wasps, teen love and more for WNYU Radio’s science and tech podcast.
Brown University Swearer Center for Public Service, Storyteller for Good
Oct 2013-Jun 2014
Helped launch and wrote, illustrated and produced audio for SwearerSparks.org, a digital platform about social innovation and public service, which won the national Ashoka U-Cordes Innovation Award in 2015
Argonne National Laboratory, Editorial Intern
Jun 2012-Aug 2012
Wrote web features, press releases, newsletters and blog posts for U.S. Department of Energy lab.
AWARDS & FELLOWSHIPS
Berlin Science Communication Award/ Humboldt University Journalist-in-Residence
Berlin, Germany • Fall 2017
Harvard Medical School Media Fellowship
Boston, MA • Spring 2017
The New York Times James Reston Reporting Fellowship
New York, NY • Summer 2016
NYU Arthur L. Carter Institute, New York, NY
Sep 2014-Dec 2015
M.A. Journalism, Advanced Certificate in Science, Health & Environmental Reporting
Brown University, Providence, RI
Sep 2008-Dec 2012
B.Sc. Environmental Science, with Honors, Voss Environmental Fellow, Sigma Xi
Coverdale TC, Brisson CP, Young EW, Yin SF, Donnelly JP, Bertness MD (2014) Indirect Human Impacts Reverse Centuries of Carbon Sequestration and Salt Marsh Accretion. PLoS ONE 9(3): e93296.
- Anthology Film Archives, Mar 2018. Moderated a panel discussion on the deep sea, climate change and the public role of scientists at the NYC premiere of Acid Horizon, "a feel good global warming disaster movie."
- Caveat NYC, Feb 2018. Pitched and co-delivered a talk titled “Sciencewashing: How Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge Gentrify Cities.”
- Brown University, Jan 2018. Spoke to Thalia Field's class, "Zoologic: Animals in the Surveillance State," about how the internet transforms our relationship to wildlife, how wild animals are represented in the media.
- Berlin Science Communication Day, Nov 2017. Featured guest at one-day science communication conference.
- Harvard Medical School, Apr 2017. Spoke about science journalism to medical school's media specialists.
- Princeton International School of Mathematics and Science, Feb 2015. Spoke about science journalism at high school assembly.
- Brown University, Nov 2014. Spoke about science writing in Kate Schapira’s “True Stories” nonfiction writing class.
- Multimedia: Stop-motion animation, podcasts, Adobe Creative Suite, iMovie, Garage Band
- Online: Social media (CrowdTangle, Social Pulse, Sprout Social, Buffer), SEO, Wordpress, Tumblr
- Language: Mandarin (fluent)
- Visual art: Over five years of formal training in illustration, painting and studio art.
- Copywriting/communications: In 2016, I led copywriting and media relations for Trinus, a consumer 3D printer, helping raise >$1.6 million on Kickstarter. In 2013 and 2014, I ran book campaigns for Connection: Hollywood Storytelling Meets Critical Thinking, by Randy Olson, and Don’t Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change, by George Marshall.
- Nonprofit management: From 2013 to 2015, I helped oversee operations, taught, fundraised and served as Secretary of the Board for UPP Arts, an urban arts and environmental education nonprofit based in Rhode Island.
- Science: I can traverse muddy salt marshes without falling, bake dirt at extremely high temperatures, cajole ocean sediment cores into whispering climate histories to me, lasso ghost crabs in the night, construct DIY solar ovens and count fish while scuba diving.